GRAFT, PLUNDER RAPS FILED AT OMBUDSMAN VS. ALVAREZ, JUBAHIB
A former security aide of Davao del Norte 1st District Rep. Pantaleon Alvarez has filed plunder and graft charges against the congressman and his chief of staff Edwin Jubahib.
Alvarez is seeking reelection while Jubahib is running for governor in the May 13 elections.
In his affidavit of complaint, Jeffrey Lopez Cabigon of Carmen, Davao del Norte accused Rep. Alvarez and Jubahib of violations of Republic Act No. 7080, otherwise known as the Plunder Act, and RA 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act.
In the said affidavit, Cabigon narrated how Jubahib amassed wealth in such a short time after Rep. Alvarez became the House Speaker.
Among Cabigon’s revelations on Jubahib’s expenditures are as follows:
1. Jubahib bought two Hummer vehicles in Subic for P6 million and P8million cash respectively.
2. Alvarez bought a brand new bullet-proof Toyota Land Cruiser thru Jubahib. The congressman also bought a FJ Cruiser and a Mercedes Benz G55 worth P12 million.
3. Contractors also gifted Alvarez and Jubahib with bullet-proof pickups numbering to about 10 as their commission for the awarded contracts to the contractors. Some of the vehicles were said to be in the care of Edwin Virtudaso, an engineer from Panabo City and is running for councilor.
4. On December 2016, Jubahib bought a lot in JP Laurel, Panabo City owned by the Ugdang family for P64 million.
5. Alvarez, thru Jubahib, bought a 9-hectare property along the coastal road of Panabo City at P7 million per hectare.
6. Alvarez and Jubahib bought P500 million worth of properties in the Island Garden City of Samal. He said they rented one room at the Waterfront Insular Hotel for the payment of landowners.
7. Jubahib also bought 32-hectare property near the Crocodile Park and a 100-hectare property in Sta. Cruz, Panabo worth P3 million per hectare.
8. Alvarez bought a rest house in Diversion Road, Davao City from a certain Dalisay. He also bought for P20 million a property in Magdum, Tagum City owned by Rev. Emerson Luego.
9. Jubahib claims that once the Tagum Flyover project is over they will surely have a huge commission. That on January 11, 2018, from Insular Hotel they boarded a yacht going to a beach resort in Samal. There were many VIPs in the said resort and when Jubahib went out of the room he was already bringing two luggages full of cash which was used for the birthday party of then Speaker Alvarez and for the upcoming barangay election.
10. That the money of Alvarez and Jubahib are deposited in Banco de Oro Panabo City and that they usually make weekly deposits there carrying two to three luggages full of cash.
11. On Alvarez’s birthday bash in 2018, Cabigon was made a close-in security of Jubahib’s driver, Nonoy, wherein they were tasked to ferry VIP guests from the Davao airport to the hotel and that they pay the hotel in cash. Cabigon said they were also ordered to give P150,000 cash to each of the barangay captains in the province.
12. In the May 14, 2018 elections, Cabigon said he was asked by Jubahib to run for barangay captain in Brgy. Tibulao, Carmen where he lost. After his loss, Cabigon said he started distancing himself from Jubahib and Alvarez.
13. That he now fears for his life as when he was still with the group, Jubahib would often tell him that if there is someone who would create trouble for them that he just kill that person right away and that they will just lay the victim’s family. Cabigon’s complaint has been filed before the Ombudsman Mindanao Monday, May
The camp of Alvarez and Jubahib has still not released any statement regarding Cabigon’s accusation as of presstime.